Trams 24 & 26
A Class 1902 "Dinghy"
So called because of a pitching motion, much like a dinghy, the A class entered service in 1902. They were the pioneer electrics of the Herne Bay, Parnell, Newmarket and Remuera services.
A tram called Bob
When discovered in Riverhead, Auckland in 1993, there was no way to identify the fleet number of this tram. Hence, it became known as 'Bob'.
During their time most dinghys had their paint burnt off and components stamped with their fleet number. However, It is suspected that Bob missed out on this refit, as it was being used at the time for track grinding.
It was not until a pencil marking was discovered on the headboard of the centre partition that it was identified as number 24. It is now one of the few surviving dinghys with the remains of it's original and subsequent paint colour scheme.
Tram 26 was discovered on Ranui Station Road, opposite the railway station, where it had once been used as a family home. Like tram 24, this is one of the original 18 A Class trams that were imported form England in kit-set form to start the electric service. It was built by Brush Engineering in Loughborough.